Green IT (definition)
From Green software
In Harnessing Green IT: Principles and Practices a definition of green IT as provided by Murugesan is as follows:
Green IT is the study and practice of designing, manufacturing, using and disposing of computers, servers, and associated subsystems—such as monitors, printers, storage devices, and networking and communications systems—efficiently and effectively with minimal or no impact on the environment.
Based on assumption, TCO Development offers the following definition of “Green IT”:
- A Green IT product or service shall have at least one documented positive and significant effect when it comes to reducing the environmental impact in our society.
- A Green IT product shall in all other green aspects at least be average when compared with other products on the market
- Green IT related to hardware and software is always a moving target and shall be benchmarked against its product segment’s average environmental performance at the actual time of marketing the product as “Green”. This is the same as for a TCO Certified product and several environmental labels on the market.
- For Green IT there is a need for good quality and usability to optimize the usage of hardware, software and services. Therefore the definition of Green IT shall include usability aspects.
- A credible Green IT claim shall be documented and third party verified.