Cloud/Virtualization on DAS-4
- The two most common virtualization technologies used in a Cloud research environment are Xen and KVM.
- Most prominent Cloud computing projects support both Xen and KVM.
- Using Xen requires a (Xen-specific) special kernel which takes additional setup and maintenance time.
- KVM integrates nicely with the standard kernel and RedHat puts significantly more development time in KVM than in Xen.
- Supporting both Xen and KVM on different node sets reduces the possibilities of doing reproducable large-scale measurements on DAS-4.
Therefore DAS-4 virtualization support is focussed on KVM.
OpenNebula setup on DAS-4
OpenNebula is currently installed on the DAS-4/VU and DAS-4/Delft clusters. These setups are regularly updated when a new stable OpenNebula release becomes available.