Bioinformatics Programming Classes 2012-2013
- Recommended book: Learning Python, Mark Lutz, David Ascher, O'Reilly Media
- python.org To search for terms use google with: "site:python.org ..."
- Nice intro to python and programming in general: How to think like a computer scientist
... after this class ...
If you are thinking of choosing the Bioinformatics profile (even if you're not sure yet) you should already (now) enroll in the course Inleiding programmeren (Python) course ID 401096 via VUnet. Currently, this seems not to be possible because the course is not linked to the master programme. I will try to get this sorted out as soon as possible.
Class 1 - intro to linux
Class 2 - python shell: print, operator, types, if exercise: 'calculation' script
Class 3 - lists, for exercise: sum i over n; n!
Class 4 - Functions, scope, namespace, import, while exercise: calculator using functions; interactive calculator with error handling; guessing game
Class 5 - file I/O, dictionaries, string manipulation (e.g., split) exercise: codon table & translation
- Deadline Friday, September 28, please email Nicola Bonzanni and Mohammed El-Kebir
Class 6 - Regular expressions
Class 7 - Putting everything together exercise: GO parsing
- Deadline Friday, October 12, please email Nicola Bonzanni and Mohammed El-Kebir