Bioinformatics and Systems Biology Research Proposal
From Master Projects
(Redirected from Bioinf Sys Bio Research Proposal)
Seminar Series and Writing a Research Proposal is intended to make students acquainted with the academic practice of writing and defending research proposals.
- Becoming aware of the major issues and methodology in a selected bioinformatics and/or systems biology topic area.
- Obtaining hands-on experience in writing a Bioinformatics and Systems Biology research proposal.
- The student will have some exposure to semi-realistic a proposal procedure.
- Induction by supervisor and selection of proposal topic (possibly multiple meetings)
- Attending three or more seminars on the proposal topic
- Writing short seminar report about seminars attended
- Reading scientific literature
- Discussions with supervisor about selected research topic for the proposal
- Writing the proposal
- Please read our template document and guide for writing your research proposal
- Mid-term check with supervisor of progress and state of report (one meeting minimally)
- Discussion of finalised proposal with supervisor, and implementing proposal amendments and/or corrections.
- Preparation of proposal interview (prepare 5 slides and a 10-minute presentation)
- Proposal presentation and interview by mock committee
- Revising the proposal based on comments from mock committee
- progress and contacts during course (pass)
- seminar report (pass)
- research proposal (50%)
- Abstract: concise & convincing?
- Introduction - Context: clarity, convincing, urgency?
- Objectives - Relevance to Bioinformatics: innovative, feasible?
- Deliverables - Implementation Plan: feasible, impact?
- Writing style: convincing, clear, structured?
- final presentation/interview (50%)
- Technical Quality
- Relevance to Bioinformatics
See also the grading form
- http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/bundy/how-tos/rsg-how-to-get-funding.html (great advice! doc)