Formal procedures during your master
There are a number of formal steps you need to take during your master:
Please note, that this overview is based on the VU regulations; please refer to the UvA website for more information on the UvA regulations. Graduation ceremonies at the UvA are held only two times a year.
- Make sure you are registered at both the VU and the UvA
- Register for each course six weeks before the starting date.
- You must make sure that you register at VU for VU courses and at UvA for UvA courses. This sounds silly, but in most cases, unfortunately, you can cross-register because the course also exists in the system 'at the other side'. If unsure, ask your mentor.
- Create a Personal Education Plan (PEP), typically six weeks into the master.
- Start arranging your internships, typically six to seven months into the master.
- Get approval for your list of subjects, as chosen in your PEP, in the second half of the first year.
- Six months before you want to graduate, you need to decide on one of the possible Graduation dates (look under 'Degree ceremonies'), and get approval from all supervisors of all courses and internships for which you do not have a grade yet. Make sure you also check with the Educational Office ('Onderwijsburo').
- Apply for your graduation at least three months before your approved graduation date.
- Please find here the rules for obtaining cum laude
Please also refer to the official rules and regulations about
- Getting your MSc degree (procedure, due dates) at the VU Faculty of Sciences, or
- Graduation Procedure MSc Life Sciences (ceremony, due dates) at the UvA, as appropriate.
Finally, please do let us know if you find anything on this page that is incorrect or incomplete.