Difference between revisions of "Information Sciences Master"
From Master Projects
(→Introduction and Checkpoints)
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
= Thesis Design =
= Thesis Design =
[[Thesis Design Schedule 2014-2015]]
[[Thesis Design Schedule 2014-2015
= Master Project Meetings =
= Master Project Meetings =
Revision as of 15:32, 11 November 2015
Introduction and Checkpoints
When you want to start a Master Project you have to take the following steps:
- First, you need to orientate on the different subjects that can be done at the VU or at a company. You can find all the information here on this Wiki and at the "stagebureau". Open example projects van be found on the [Information_Sciences] page. Additionally, in November, there will be a Master Project Information meetings to inform you of the procedure and possible internal and external projects. This meeting will be on Monday 23 Nov 15.30-17.00 in room S607.
- Make an appointment with one of the two Master Project Coordinators. This is either Henrik Leopold (email@example.com, for the Business Information Systems track) or Victor de Boer (firstname.lastname@example.org, for the Web and Media track) for a 20 minute meeting to discuss your interests. They will suggest a supervisor. When your interest lies within a domain of another Master Programme one of the Master Project Coordinators will send you to the contact person of this domain. The contact person will then suggest a supervisor. When communicating with your Master Project Coordinator about your Master Project, please use "Master Project" in your e-mail header. Before you start your project, make sure that your project is 'known' by one of the coordinators.
- Make an appointment with the suggested supervisor. During this meeting, you will make an agreement about the master project. The agreement must consist of the following items: Project place, theme of the research question, supervisor, second reader and period. After this, you have to register your project in the Master Project Wiki (see below). All student projects need to be registered before December 15th.
- When the project is registered, you have to print your Master Project page and let your supervisor sign. Then, you have to submit the signed printout to the Onderwijsbureau FEW.
- Thesis Design: The first four weeks of your project are part of the Thesis Design phase (6 ECTS). This is a separate course for which the student will receive a grade (Code: X_405087). During this phase, you develop your research plan and conduct the literature research. After the first month, you submit your research proposal. This consists of the context, the problem statement, the research question, the method and a planning formulated on max. 4 pages. At the same moment you will present this material to your supervisor and other students and their supervisors in a meeting. The Thesis design is graded by your supervisor and a second reader. The assessment form for the Thesis design will be made available here. One or more intervision meetings will be organized as part of the Thesis Design phase. Students will be notified in advance.
- Master Project: The remaining 18 ECTS consist of executing the research described in the plan. This is the "Master Project Information Sciences" course (Code: X_405083).
- When the final version of master project is submitted to your supervisor and the second reader, you will give the final presentation during a special meeting. After this, your supervisor will give the final grade for your work. Here you can find the assessment form for the Master Project.
- Although you can do a project at a company, you can only develop a research plan in collaboration with your VU supervisor. So approach a VU supervisor early.
- A Master Project IS consists of 18 ECTS and 6 ECTS literature research (Thesis Design) this is approximately 4 months of work. If there is an interruption of more than 3 months, the project will be considered failed.
- The Master Project has to be written in English. You have two options of reporting your work on your thesis.  a ACM style article approx. 15 pages plus appendices or  regular style thesis report.
- At the end of the Master Project you give a final presentation in the Intertain Lab at VU. Practical information will be made available.
- When you are finished with your project, please upload your thesis document on the wiki and check the finished box.
- Further information about Thesis Design in general and about doing a Master Project at the UvA. and for information about the Thesis Design presentations.
Master Project Guide
Overview of Masterprojects
Click on one of the pages below to get an overview of current and past projects, and to register your own project.