Information Sciences Master
From Master Projects
Revision as of 16:01, 16 December 2014 by Schrofer
Introduction and Checkpoints
When you want to start a Master Project you have to take the following steps:
- First you need to orientate on the different subjects that can be done at the VU or at a company. You can find all the information here on this Wiki and at the "stagebureau".
- Make an appointment with the Master Project Coordinator Lora Aroyo by mailing one of the secretaries of the Computer Science Department for a 20 minute meeting to discuss your interests. The Master Project Coordinator will suggest a supervisor. When your interest lies with a domain of another Master Programme the Master Project Coordinator will send you to the contact person of this domain. The contact person will then suggest a supervisor. When communicating with your Master Project Coordinator about your Master Project please use "Master Project" in your e-mail header.
- Make an appointment with the suggested supervisor. During this meeting you will make an agreement about the master project. The agreement must consist of the following items: Project place, theme of the research question, supervisor, second reader and period. After this you have to register your project in the Master Project Wiki (see below).
- When the project is registered you have to print your Master Project page and let your supervisor sign. Then you have to submit the signed printout to the Onderwijsbureau FEW.
- After the first month you submit your plan. The plan consists of the context, the problem statement, the research question, the method and a planning formulated on max. 4 pages. At the same moment you will present this material to your supervisor and other students and their supervisors in a meeting.
- When the final version of master project is submitted to your supervisor and the second reader you will give the final presentation during a special meeting. After this your supervisor will give the final grade for your work. Here you can find the assessment form for the Master Project.
- In general you cannot do your Master Project at the company you already work for.
- A Master Project IS consists of 18 ects and 6 ects literature research (Thesis Design) this is approximately 4 months of work. If there is an interruption of more than 3 months the project will be considered failed.
- The Master Project has to be written in English. You have two options of reporting your work on your thesis.  a ACM style article approx. 15 pages plus appendices or  regular style thesis report.
- The checkpoints above are derived from the general guidelines for the Master Project within the department of Computer Science.
- At the end of the Master Project you give a final presentation in the Intertain Lab at VU. Practical information can be found here
- When you are finished with your project please upload your thesis document on the wiki and check finished box.
- Further information about Thesis Design in general and about doing a Master Project at the UvA. and for information about the Thesis Design presentations.
Master Project Guide
- The assessment
- The basic principles
- The phases
- Mid-term and Final Presentations
- Master Project Assessment Form
Overview of Masterprojects
Click on one of the pages below to get an overview of current and past projects, and to register your own project.